No Excuses

There’s excitement and

This summer was odd for reasons other than the deluge of rain and lack of 100 degree weather. There was a palpable buzz about the SMU football program from places other than the Hilltop.

A CSTV analyst picked SMU to win Conference USA during football media day in New Orleans. SMU was the featured team in USA Today’s C-USA preview. The local publication, The Sports Guide, picked SMU to finish No. 20 in the nation by the end of the season and predicted an upset of Texas Tech would launch the Mustangs to that spot in the polls.

This obviously is not SMU football as we have come to know it over the past 20 years.

Expectations are something new around here. But they are to be expected with the team that has been put together by head coach Phil Bennett.

Sophomore quarterback Justin Willis is the center of attention – and he should be. For the first time in recent memory, SMU has a quarterback that can make the plays he needs to AND do that something extra to extend a drive or get points on the board. He already broke records last year – 29 touchdowns in one season – and fans can only wonder what he will do this year. Willis alone is worth going into the stadium and leaving the Boulevard.

But the x-factor this season is going to be junior running back DeMyron Martin. If he can play at levels similar to his freshman year he will ease the pressure on Willis in the passing game. A balanced offense will make this team unstoppable in conference play.

The effort and talent on the field is the best SMU has seen in a long time.

But the players agree that fan support is crucial to a successful season.

The athletic department has certainly done its part. Whether you like the “Pony Up” logo or not, SMU football has not been a presence in the community the way it is right now in a long time. They are to be commended for creating excitement toward SMU.

But now it’s our turn.

Last year the student section was the best it had been at Ford Stadium. Having games that mattered late in the year helped, but it finally seemed like students got the idea to go to the games and be loud.

It has to be that way this year.

There aren’t any boring games this season. The first two – Texas Tech and North Texas – feature teams that SMU is trying to avenge losses to. The rest of the schedule is conference play, games that matter for SMU going to the C-USA Championship game.

It’s the best time in nearly three decades to be an SMU student at football games.

So “Pony Up!” And we’ll see you at all the games.