Women’s soccer defeats UTSA in opener

SMUs Kim Peabody (right) goes for the ball against UTSAs Celeste Carruth (left) during Friday evenings game at Westcott Field.
Stuart Palley
SMU’s Kim Peabody (right) goes for the ball against UTSA’s Celeste Carruth (left) during Friday evening’s game at Westcott Field.

SMU’s Kim Peabody (right) goes for the ball against UTSA’s Celeste Carruth (left) during Friday evening’s game at Westcott Field. (Stuart Palley)

Friday night marked the opening of the SMU womens soccer season when the Mustangs defeated Texas-San Antonio 2-1. The win marks SMU’s 13th consecutive season opener victory.

Neither team was able to score during the first half, but Kimber Bailey quickly took matters into her own hands. Kim Peabody had several shots on goal during the first half but was unable to get past UTSA goalkeeper Rachel Francis. Allison Brill also had shots on goal during the first half but faced similar results.

Bailey scored the first goal for the Mustangs at the 39-minute mark of the second half. Shortly after, Brittainy Vice rocketed a shot into the goal after a pass from teammate Rachel Michener at the 26-minute mark.

Upon Vice’s goal, UTSA player Ezinne Opko got a shot past SMU goalkeeper Ashley Gunter.

While the Mustangs did manage to win the game, the players feel there is room for improvement.

“It definitely wasn’t our best performance, but a win is a win. We scored two great goals, especially the second one because it was the result of a nice passing combination between a few players,” goalkeeper Ashley Gunter said. “This game was good for the team because we had to hold onto the lead at the end. We made some mistakes at the end of the game, but we can learn from them and be more prepared for similar situations in the future.”

“We know we are better than that game. People who come out and support us know we play good soccer. That night just wasn’t our night,” Peabody explained after the game.

Peabody had several shots on goal in the first and second half, but was unable to get past the UTSA goalkeeper.

The Mustangs will travel on the road next week when they take on St. Louis University on Friday Sept. 7.