Winter freeze gives playtime, moves elections

The city was covered in sleet and ice as Dallasites turned in for the night. They woke up to powdery-looking drifts and 20-degree temperatures. Businesses were closed and classes were canceled.

“I peeked through the blinds and I saw my hood, windshield and everything covered in snow and I said nope, I’m not going anywhere,” laughed Toya Glen, a senior broadcast journalism major.

Even though it looked pretty outside, it was pretty treacherous trying to get around. The misty rains and sleet coated everything in about an inch and a half of ice. Many SMU students stayed indoors, but there were others that decided to partake of some wintertime fun that’s a rarity in Texas.

“I went outside and watched people playing football and sliding down stairs in laundry baskets,” said Melvin Williams, a junior on the Mustang football team. “People were stealing trays from Umphrey Lee to slide on.”

Williams saw an SUV slide into a fire hydrant near campus and saw another one spin out. All day long, newscasters advised viewers to stay off the roads unless it was absolutely necessary to drive.

Hiding inside from the bitter cold was the most popular thing to do today.

“I watched everything that could possibly come on MTV. I caught up on all my music videos and ate, that’s about it. And topped it off by cooking dinner with my mom,” Glen said.

With two official snow days back-to-back on the Hilltop, students have plenty of time to play catch up with friends, assignments, sleep and daytime television.

Election Information

Student body officer elections have been postponed from Wednesday and Thursday of this week to Monday and Tuesday due to inclement weather.

The icy conditions prohibited the university webmaster from posting the elections as scheduled.

Student Senate is in the process of rescheduling Tuesday’s candidate debates.

Students will be able to vote online at www.smu.edu/elections beginning Monday morning.