Mustangs fail to win first back-to-back WAC contests

Plagued by inconsistency all season, the Mustangs (10-13, 4-9)failed to capitalize on a prime opportunity: winning their firstback-to-back conference games.

The Mustangs opened up their road trip in San Jose against theSpartans (1-11, 6-16) successfully with a 62-55 victory.

The Mustangs never trailed during the game.

Despite shooting only 39.1 percent from the field versus theSpartans 44 percent in the first half, SMU took a 31-26 lead intohalftime. Shooting four-of-11 from behind the three-point arch andhitting nine free throws boosted SMU. San Jose State failed toattempt any three-pointers in the first half.

In the second half, the Mustangs proved more accurate, shooting40.4 percent. The Mustangs matched their offensive output of 31points in the first half to win the game 62-55.

The Spartans shot 43.1 percent from the field to the Mustangs40.4 percent, but eight Mustangs three-pointers were enough to makethe difference.

Bryan Hopkins led both teams in scoring with 18 points. He alsocontributed two rebounds and three assists. Right behind Hopkinswere Patrick Simpson (16 points, six rebounds, one block, and threeassists) and Kris Lowe. (14 points, six rebounds, and oneassist)

The game was head coach Mike Dement’s 500th game as acoach in college basketball; he currently posts a 260-241 mark.

The win was also the Mustangs’ sixth win in a row over SanJose State.

In a Valentine’s Day game in Hawaii, the Mustangs let theopportunity for a win streak slip by as the WAC’s first placeteam, the Rainbow Warriors (17-5, 9-3,), held off the Ponies for a62-59 win.

Hawaii took the floor in the first half cold and shot onlynine-of-31 from the field. The Mustangs hit nine shots of their ownand clung to a 25-24 lead going into the second half.

In the second half, Hawaii regrouped and shot 57.7 percent fromthe field while the Mustangs settled for 50 percent.

With four minutes remaining, the Mustangs found themselves down52-54 after a nine-point rally.

The team held onto some of the momentum and Hopkins’four-point play with 1:13 left put the Mustangs up 59-58.

Twenty-six seconds later, the Rainbow Warriors took the lead forgood when Michael Kuebler’s three-pointer hit.

Hopkins tried to provide late game heroics with three-pointers,but both of his shots were blocked by Hawaii defender HaimShimonovich. Shimonovich deflected Hopkins’ shots with 12seconds left and the last one at the buzzer clinching a 62-59Hawaii victory.

Hawaii’s Michael Kuebler led all scorers with 21points.

Hopkins led the Mustangs with 16 points and also added 10rebounds and seven assists.

Once again, assisting Hopkins’ effort were Simpson andLowe. Simpson finished the game with 13 points, two rebounds, and ablock, while Lowe finished the game with 13 points, two rebounds,and two assists.

The Mustangs can rest until Saturday when they take on theLouisiana Tech Bulldogs in Ruston. Tip-off is set for 3 p.m.