Mustangs celebrate love

Students’ plans include parties, dinner and dessert

Whether they’re attached or single, SMU students areplanning ways to spend their Valentine’s Day.

Some of the love devices that students will use are cards androses. According to the Family Internet Web site, Americans willsend over 1 billion cards and give over 50 million roses to theirValentines. SMU students will help keep those numbers up.

“I’m taking my girlfriend on a date and giving hersome flowers. We’re going to Studio Movie Grill to see‘Big Fish’ then to a fancy restaurant so we can orderdessert,” junior business major Jonathan Wallis said.

Some students will plan on not planning anything.

“I’ve never done anything and this year’s notgoing to be any different. It’s a personal tradition, if youwill,” first-year business major Ryan Spencer said.

Other singles have planned large events with groups of friendsin hopes of ducking the obligatory dinner-and-a-movie date.

“My roommates and I are throwing a party at our house.I’ve never had a girlfriend on Valentine’s Day, soit’s never meant much, but our party is a nice reason to havea bunch of folks come hang out at the house,” senior geologymajor Travis Glenn said.

According to a study performed by Child Trends, the percentageof students that never dated in high school in 2001 rose from 14percent in 1991 to 22 percent. Those who avoid dating in theirteenage years are more likely to avoid dating in college.

Not only is the dating scene slowly dwindling, sentiment forValentine’s Day is also low, according to a Yahoo! poll.

Yahoo’s online poll, which is still tallying votes, had203 respondents as of Feb. 12. Only 4 percent of the 203 people whoresponded said they look forward to Feb. 14. Most of the responsesfell in the “I’m indifferent” or the”I’m not a big fan” categories. However, 33percent responded saying, “Valentine’s Day should go tohell.”

Even if people don’t favor Valentine’s Day, Cupidwill still fly in on Saturday and buzz away after the red roses arefading and the little candy hearts have turned rock hard.