SMU soccer ready for season

Womens soccer head coach Brent Erwin speaks at the 2007 SMU Soccer Kickoff Luncheon.
John Schreiber
Women’s soccer head coach Brent Erwin speaks at the 2007 SMU Soccer Kickoff Luncheon.

Women’s soccer head coach Brent Erwin speaks at the 2007 SMU Soccer Kickoff Luncheon. (John Schreiber)

Trinity Hall at Mockingbird Station was the site of the men and women’s soccer team luncheon. The Irish pub served as a great venue for first-year women’s coach Brent Erwin and men’s coach Schellas Hyndman, now in his 24th year at SMU, to build support for their upcoming seasons.

Hyndman led off the speeches by talking about all of his time at SMU. Over the years at SMU, Hyndman said he has lost some of his sight and hearing. One thing the coach has not lost is his ability to recruit top-flight players and put winning teams on the field year in and year out.

The men’s head coach likes the beginning of the season because “we [SMU] are undefeated.” Last year SMU topped the NSCAA poll for seven weeks out of the entire season. This year SMU begins the year in the eighth position.

Next to speak was coach Erwin about the women’s team. Erwin spoke about how “excited [he was] that soccer was very important to SMU” and how he believes the women’s team is poised to succeed.

An exciting element of the women’s season is the high number of games with in-state rivals. Erwin likes playing rival games because “they are for bragging rights and always have a fun atmosphere.”

Both coaches believe that home- fan support is a key ingredient to success. Erwin knows that “it means a lot to the girls when they see big crowds” and know there are people caring about the success of the team.

Men’s soccer head coach Schellas Hyndman talks about the upcoming season during the 2007 SMU Soccer Kickoff Luncheon held at Trinity Hall in Mockingbird Station yesterday afternoon. (John Schreiber)