Lisa Frankenstein was released to theaters Feb. 9th and was released to digital platforms Feb. 27.
"Lisa Frankenstein" Review
February 29, 2024
The program for SMU Lyric Theatres performance of Suor Angelica and Gianni Schicchi, Dallas Texas, Sunday February 18, 2024
Love, loss and laughter
February 27, 2024

Fondren Science evacuated after small lab fire

Michael Danser/ The Daily Campus

(Michael Danser/ The Daily Campus )

The Fondren Science building was evacuated Tuesday afternoon due to a small lab fire. Emergency vehicles were on the site and Daniel Avenue was closed between Airline Road and Hillcrest Avenue due to the incident.

The initial call regarding the fire came to SMU police at 3:18, and University Park Fire Department responded and were on the scene shortly thereafter. The fire was contained by 3:35.

“Within 15 minutes upon fire personal arriving the fire was contained. THey were able to put the fire out with sand,” said Kent Best of SMU Public Affairs. 

Best said that the fire was “about the size of a wastebasket,”

David Son, an associate professor of chemistry, a visiting professor and two students were in the lab when the fire occured. One student suffered minor burns on her leg and was treated at the University Health Center. No other injuries were reported.

The fire started as a result of the disposal of the chemical sodium hydride, said Best. In order to dispose of the chemical it is poured over ice water, if poured too fast, it will ignite.

“She poured it a little too quickly and it did ignite,” said Best.

After initially attempting to put out the fire with a fire extinguisher, Son called 911.

The Dallas HAZMAT team arrived to check air quality and quality of clean up, as is protocal after any chemical spill, said Best. The building was given the all-clear at 4:45 p.m.