Magician Watson discusses leadership

Courtesty of Trigg Watson
SMU graduate Trigg Watson performs at TEDxSMU in December 2011.

SMU graduate Trigg Watson performs at TEDxSMU in December 2011. (Courtesty of Trigg Watson)

After concluding tours in Los Angeles and Las Vegas, SMU’s magic extraordinaire Trigg Watson is back in Dallas. Watson brought his talents back to the Hilltop to make the first Leadership Education Activities and Development, meeting magical.

LEAD focuses on spreading “leadership on campus and emphasizing leadership throughout campus,” Kelsey Cordutsky, LEAD Public Relations Chair, said.

From New York to Dallas, a wide range of leadership training is going on across the country. The meeting coincided with news of New York Jets coach Rex Ryan reportedly sending 19 players to “leadership training.” LEAD prides itself on being the “premiere leadership group on campus” for all types of students, from football players to magicians.

Watson wasted no time talking about being a leader on campus. He explained to students how to get involved and defined what makes a good leader. He listed four ideas key to being a good leader: organization, listening, having a game plan and setting an example.

“Practice what you are preaching,” Watson said.

After being involved in Emerging Leaders his freshman year, Watson set out to become a leader on campus. Watson ultimately became president of TREAT, a student run organization dedicated to talent recruitment and entertainment.

From TREAT, Watson learned a strong leader must collaborate with others to make any group or organization successful.
“You really want to foster an environment to promote others to share their opinions,” he said.

Watson also believes leaving a legacy is essential to being a leader. This belief motivated him to speak at the LEAD meeting Wednesday evening.

“Part of leaving a legacy [is giving back to] people you were mentored by,” Watson said.

His discussion closed with a metaphor comparing life in college to a rope with a definite beginning and a definite end. The trick to surviving life in college is making strong ties, fostering relationships with many people and staying connected on campus.

Those in attendance applied their own experiences with his metaphor. Sophomore Quyen Tong, beginning her second year in LEAD, noted something different about this year from last.

“This year it’s a good sign as to where it’s going. This year is so much better. I think everyone is so amazing,” Tong said.