Women’s soccer kicks off Friday’s doubleheader at Westcott

The SMU Women’s Soccer team kicks off their season this evening when they take on the University of Texas – San Antonio. Coming off last season with an 8-1 record in Conference USA, and 17-5-1 overall record, SMU returns to the field with seven returners and a strong desire to make it back in the NCAA College Cup.

During preseason, the Mustangs defeated Texas A&M Commerce but fell to Oklahoma last week with only 30 seconds of playing time left.

The Mustangs are confident going into this match-up after defeating UTSA last season 5-0, and hope to improve their streak of winning 12 consecutive season openers.

Senior Kimber Bailey explained, “The exhibition games were fun, but the team mainly focused on strengthening our weaknesses. Now that we’ve hammered out our kinks, we’re ready to face any opponent that steps onto the field. Their strengths do not really matter as much because it is our talent and passion that they have to overcome.”

Talent and passion will be strong components in tonight’s game. Head coach Brent Erwin stressed the importance of starting a new season, a new beginning and receiving the chance for the girls to perform the skills they have perfected thus far.

“We’re getting better every day. We just need to play well, and play how we want and know how to,” Erwin said.

UTSA ended last season with an 8-9-2 record. Head coach Steve Ballard feels confident in his team, and believes the returnees will carry the team through the season.

“[UTSA] is a good team. We are going to go into the game focusing just on us and our team. We just need to perform on the field, and do our job,” Erwin said.

The game starts at 5:30 p.m. at Westcott Field.