High-tech TVs close to hitting market

Sony, Toshiba and LG unveiled the first 4K TVs at IFA, an international electronic fair, on Wednesday. The new TVs, a huge step in high-definition resolution, are big in size and price-starting at a whopping 84″ and $31,000 per set.

After 4K cameras came out earlier this year, manufacturers jumped to bring the innovation to television sets, but most of the technology required to make 4K resolution TVs possible didn’t exist until now.

Sony is the only manufacturer to announce a 4K receiver that supports such high resolution.

“Sony has been involved in building the 4K content viewing and creating environment in the professional field,” Sony said in a press release Thursday. “With the release of this kind of high-resolution, large-screen 4K TV, [consumers have] new ways to enjoy television.”

The perks of such an increase in pixels is still very vague. For large displays, like sports bars, football stadiums or media rooms, the investment seems worthwhile.

But for smaller displays, the resolution difference is hardly noticeable.

Although called 4K, the TVs only actually display 3,840 pixels.

The biggest improvement tied to 4K pixel resolution is 4K capable cameras with improved color capturing technology.

Red Camera, a film camera manufacturer at the forefront of this digital innovation, boasts a new “Dragon” sensor, which can capture images at 6K.

With 6,000-pixel resolution, the camera can create much sharper images at high speeds.

After internal testing of the sensor, Red Camera CEO Jim Jannard is confident in the new product’s performance.

Both 6K and 8K TVs have been introduced as concepts, but no retail model is available. For now, the next big change in high-resolution TVs is 4K.

Students will have to stick to cheaper TVs until prices drop.