Trustees approve quad to be named for Turners

SMU’s board of trustees has recently confirmed plans for the creation of a new quadrangle on campus to be named in honor of President R. Gerald Turner.

According to an official press release issued by SMU on June 9, “the R. Gerald Turner Centennial Quadrangle will be prominently located in the eastern quadrant of campus, an area that Turner identified early in his presidency for improvement and development.”

Construction on the quadrangle has already begun, and the school hopes for the project to be completed by September. It will include new benches and garden areas as well as the Cooper Centennial Fountain, a gift funded in 2010 by Susan and William Cooper.

The quadrangle also will include the Gail O. and R. Gerald Turner Pavilion. Caren Prothro, chair of the board of trustees, said the board “wanted to recognize the tremendous role that Gail Turner plays in the life of and progress of the university,” and that it was “especially fitting” that Mrs. Turner be honored with “a pavilion that will serve as a wonderful gathering place for the University community,” in a statement to SMU.

Brad Cheves, vice president for development and external affairs, said that the trustees were acknowledging Turner and his wife for their contributions with the naming of the centennial quadrangle. He said the location of the quad was especially appropriate given that the buildings surrounding the quad, which include mostly engineering buildings, “were not in existence and now 15 years later those facilities serve the students as well as the many academic needs of the university.”

In a statement to SMU, President Turner said that he was “extremely grateful for the honor,” and emphasized that SMU’s progress had been a “team effort with the vision and support of a forward-looking Board, generous donors and the commitment of the entire university community.”

When completed, the project will end up costing around $2.5 million and will be fully funded by both the current trustees as well as several former board members who have served during President Turner’s tenure. It’s set to be part of the “SMU Unbridled: The Second Century Campaign” which has already raised $538 million in gifts and pledges to support the university’s continued growth and increasing quality.