Pregame party

The Mustangs open up the home football season this Saturday. But first they will get things kicked off for the fans on Thursday night with the Genghis Grill Pigskin Preview.

The event takes place inside Ford Stadium at 5:30 p.m. on Thursday. Genghis Grill is catering the event and will be located at Gate 3 of Ford Stadium.

The rest of the night’s festivities include the Mustang Band playing the classic SMU fight songs, and the pom squad will perform a dance routine. Additionally, Coach Bennett and two football players will speak.

Afterwards, the field activities will begin. Fans will be invited to the field where the Mustang Band will complete its night with the playing of “Varsity.” Later, players who will give tours of the locker room and the athletic facilities. There will also be players on the field with equipment, to let fans play with the team.

After a rough start to the season this could be what the Mustangs need to get the fans excited again. Mustang Band assistant director Tommy Tucker sees the event as “trying to get everyone to unite a bunch of good things that are already going.” If the Mustangs play to their potential on Saturday it will be a very good thing. Prior to the season starting “there seem[ed] to be a little more spirit this year,” and this event can get that spirit back before the home football season starts.