Women’s soccer falls to Sooners

SMUs Jennifer Raad (right) tries to kick the ball past Oklahomas Whitney Palmer (left) during Sundays exhibition game at Westcott Field.
Nick McCarthy
SMU’s Jennifer Raad (right) tries to kick the ball past Oklahoma’s Whitney Palmer (left) during Sunday’s exhibition game at Westcott Field.

SMU’s Jennifer Raad (right) tries to kick the ball past Oklahoma’s Whitney Palmer (left) during Sunday’s exhibition game at Westcott Field. (Nick McCarthy)

The SMU women’s soccer team faced a devastating loss on Sunday when they faced the Oklahoma Sooners after scoring on themselves with only 30 seconds left in the game.

Mustang goalkeeper, junior Ashley Gunter, made several outstanding saves, preventing the Sooners from scoring in the first half. Senior Kimber Bailey had a shot on goal in the middle of the first half, but missed the net by inches. Unfortunately, the Mustangs were unable to score on their opponent, leaving the score 0-0 at halftime.

The second half of the game provided the Mustangs with several opportunities to score. Sophomore Kim Peabody almost gave the Mustangs their first point in the opening minutes of the second half, but OU managed to block her shot. Katie Bartush and Lauren Shepherd also had shots on goal, but both were blocked by saves from the Sooners’ goalie.

SMU defeated themselves with only 30 seconds left in the game when they scored on their own net while trying to get the ball out of OU’s possession.

Despite the loss, head coach Brent Erwin gave all of the athletes playing time. Both the offense and defense showed good communication and technique, as OU was unable to score on the Mustangs the entire game.

The Mustangs will host Texas-San Antonio for the season opener on Aug. 31 at 5:30 p.m. at Westcott Field.