Bravo ‘Figaro’

Mozart’s prized piece gets local play-time
 Bravo Figaro
Bravo ‘Figaro’

Bravo ‘Figaro’

The marriage of the 18th century is featured in Mozart’s classic opera “The Marriage of Figaro” in the Bob Hope Theatre Feb. 13 – 16.

The opera, presented by the Meadows School of the Arts, is “one of the greatest operatic masterpieces of all time,” the opera’s director Marciem Bazell said.

This is Mozart’s most famous piece. Set in 1786 Spain, it focuses on Figaro and Susanna, servants of the Count and Countess Almaviva. Throughout the course of the day they conspire to outwit their dishonorable master who is trying to keep them apart.

“‘The Marriage of Figaro’ is an opera for people who don’t know or think they don’t like opera,” Meadows Media Relations Officer Tori Winkelman said. “It’s a great introductory opera.”

The opera is performed in Italian with English translations shown above the stage.

The opera mixes comedy and intrigue in a satirical story about the quirks of lovers and the presumptions of class. The opera is about the amorality of the aristocracy and the morality and common sense of the middle class.

“In essence, the opera makes fun of the upper class,” Bazell said. “Although it is set in the 18th century, today’s audiences will be able to relate to the opera.”

Bazell joined the Meadows School last August as an assistant professor and director of opera. Formerly, Bazell directed opera productions and served on the faculty of the Curtis Institute of Music and the Academy of Vocal Arts – both in Philadelphia.

She’s directed such operatic classics as “Tosca,” “Faust,” “La Traviata,” “La Boheme,” “Rigoletto” and “Romeo et Juliet” for various companies throughout the United States.

“Members of the cast have responded very positively to the expert direction of Marciem Bazell,” Interim Chair of the Division of Music Frederick Miller said. “I’m looking forward to an outstanding production.”

The cast ranges from graduate students with vast musical backgrounds to first-years just starting their collegiate musical careers.

Bazell said the opera features an incredibly multicultural and international cast. The lead roles will be divided amongst different performers on the different nights.

“University students should come to support their colleagues in the music department and to experience a masterpiece of theater and music,” Bazell said.

Although the shows are currently sold out, those wishing to see it should get to the theater early and sign up on the waiting list.

Performances Friday through Saturday start at 8 p.m. and Sunday’s begins at 2 p.m.

For more information call the Meadows Ticket Office at 214-768-2787.

Bravo ‘Figaro’