WFAA sportscaster speaks on covering recruiting scandal

Dale Hansen, a sportscaster for WFAA and Peabody Award winner, spoke about his breaking coverage of the Southern Methodist University football recruiting scandal Tuesday.

Hansen was welcomed with a warm applause and laughter as he conversed with approximately 100 SMU alumni and faculty at a luncheon hosted by the SMU Faculty Club.

When discussing his role in SMU’s death penalty Hansen said, “I don’t apologize shutting down the football team. I’m sorry it was true.”

The reason for his unapologetic attitude in a room full of SMU graduates and faculty was his childhood belief in the “character building part of sports.”

Hansen told of the many threats he received, including a letter from a law firm addressed to his wife claiming evidence of his adultery, illegal drug use and calling for his resignation.

But the question Hansen has for all of the drastically loyal mustang fans out there is: “Did your parents ever give you a free pass because every one else did it?”

Assistant Provost Anthony Tillman said, “I think [Hansen’s] comments were very insightful and though provoking…I think his approach to the issue of the death penalty as SMU was straight forward and unapologetic was very genuine.”

Currently at SMU, the death penalty is still sourly remembered.

However, Hansen gives an important piece of advice to students: “Enjoy the journey, enjoy the process, scream like crazy, and when the game is over let it go.”