Affleck attracts

‘Daredevil’ proves devilish fun for
 Affleck attracts
Affleck attracts

Affleck attracts

When the word got out that Ben Affleck was getting his shot to play a superhero, it was easy to be skeptical, but sometimes the most unlikely actor can fit the bill. Do you remember when Michael Keaton was Batman?

Affleck shines in a wonderfully J-Lo-free environment where he is a blind attorney by day and a vigilante by night.

“Daredevil” is set in New York City’s Hell’s Kitchen. Affleck’s character, Matt, was blinded by radioactive chemicals when he was 12 years old. Although his vision was lost, the chemicals enhanced his other senses. His hearing works like sonar, which is why he can take on the bad guys.

The effects used to replicate his “vision” are really cool. Everything is black, but outlined in blue, like some kind of x-ray. In a scene with Elektra, played by Jennifer Garner, you can’t help but feel like he uses his ability/disability as the ultimate mack line.

Garner’s character was disappointingly one-dimensional. It would have been nice to know more about her than that she’s the beautiful rich girl who just happens to carry a case of concentrated smack down.

Michael Clark Duncan plays your cookie-cutter head-honcho, Kingpin. He comes complete with a $2000 pinstriped suit, a walking cane and a crew of henchmen.

What sets him apart from other villains is his willingness to engage in hand-to-hand combat with Daredevil at the end of the movie.

The character that steals the movie is Bullseye, played by Colin Farrell. He doesn’t have any superpowers, but he does have freakishly good aim and a target branded on his forehead. Bullseye is equal parts crazy and creepy, but you can’t help but watch him because he demands attention anytime he’s on screen.

What makes Daredevil a rarity among superheroes is that he willfully kills his adversaries. Then, he goes to confession.

The storyline isn’t anything innovative. Everyone is out for some kind of revenge in this film.

The costumes were sharply designed, and the movie has a hot soundtrack. And while special effects were used, it wasn’t overkill like so many new films are.

Affleck attracts