Summer reading Yes Man provides pointers for real life

Over the summer I read one of the best books I have ever read. The book, Yes Man by Danny Wallace, chronicles the author’s attempt at saying “Yes” to everything asked of him for more than half a year.

You probably think this sounds familiar, and it should: it was the basis for the movie of the same name.

Recently single, Danny had become quite the bore. His life basically consisted of staying in his flat (he’s from London, after all) and saying “No” to everyone and every opportunity.

He would make excuses to get out of going places with his friends every time they called him up. All that changed, however, when he met a mysterious stranger on the bus. This mysterious stranger gave him the simple advice that would change Danny’s life: “Say ‘Yes’ more!”

Danny takes this strange man’s advice to heart, and calls his friend to meet him at the pub. Taking his friend as his sole confidant, they lay out the “Yes Manifesto” that would govern this scheme.

Danny’s plan was to take the man’s advice to the extreme. Not only would he say “Yes” more, he would only say “Yes!”

In the early days, the challenges to the Yes Man are simple. He is asked to “Adopt a Granny” several times a day, to spare some change to a homeless man at the tube station, or to buy a newspaper by a street vendor. Even in these early days of Yes, however, Danny sets off chains of events that would never have happened to him had he still been saying “No.” Before he knows it, Danny finds himself facing level five yeses.
I won’t spoil anymore than that. You’ll have to read the book to find out what turns Danny’s life takes.

Finding myself in a similar situation to pre-Yes Danny, I have recently taken his ideas to heart. Although I don’t say “Yes” to everything as he does, I do say Yes to a lot.

I eagerly accept opportunities even if I normally wouldn’t and so far have been loving it.

For example, a friend offered to teach me how to two-step. I said “Sure! That’d be great!” and now it’s one of my favorite activities. Being a native Texan and not knowing how to two-step is a pretty embarrassing thing, so I’m very grateful to Caitlin Emigh for fixing that for me.

Life has been so much more exciting now that I have let myself take opportunities that may be outside my expertise or comfort zone.

Although I probably wouldn’t recommend you do everything Danny does during his time as the Yes Man, I absolutely encourage you to follow the mysterious bus rider’s advice.
Say “yes” more and see where life takes you.

Brad is a senior majoring in mechanical engineering.