Coach or private first class?

Me Talk Funny
 Coach or private first class?
Coach or private first class?

Coach or private first class?

Above all things, one must be educated. I’m sure many of you grow tired of my frequent rants concerning education in the United States, but I believe it is the most important issue facing our country and the world today. Without education, we are lost. Without the desire to read effectively, to analyze successfully and to write competently, we cannot function in the world. Without educating ourselves, we lose our ability to form opinions; in fact, we lose our right to.

Considering the chaos going on in the world right now, education is that much more important.

In order to discuss and to argue various international issues, we must first educate ourselves. We must read the newspaper, watch CNN, read books and investigate on the Internet. We must not keep ourselves in the dark, and, above all things, we must not express unfounded opinions.

Though our campus is often referred to as overly conservative and lethargic, I have heard much discussion from both sides of the table concerning the impending war in Iraq. And, surprisingly, much of this discussion has been very educated. Members of both sides have been well versed in their knowledge of UN dealings and Middle East goings-on. In fact, I have learned just as much from friends and others as I have from reading The New York Times.

Though SMU has not yet experienced any sort of huge student protest concerning one issue or another, I am glad that so many of us are taking the time to think before we speak. As the crisis continues and grows, I hope our awareness of and familiarity with the issues does as well.

Now, having accomplished my diplomatic responsibility, I, as a liberal, anti-war representative, would like to express the opinion that anyone on this campus, or on any campus for that matter, who openly expresses pro-Bush, pro-war-in -Iraq sentiments and has not yet joined the military, is nothing more than a hypocrite.

If you are pro-America in the sense that you think we need to “tame the savages” in the Middle East, then by God pack your bags and head on over to Iraq.

If you believe that we should just drop a bomb over there so we can end all the problems, then why don’t you slip into some fatigues and hop on a jet plane.

If you believe that we, as blessed and sacred American citizens, must risk our lives for the sake of “freedom,” then by God go risk your life. Because until you do what you say we must do, you’re a liar and nothing more. You can fight me until you’re blue in the face, you can say all sorts of things concerning the atrocities already going on in the Middle East, but unless you’re willing to risk your own life, you’re just saying what your daddy told you to.

Please understand, I am a complete advocate for anyone and everyone having their own opinions. I am a complete advocate for those who are educated and who have made decisions based on their personal values and moral judgments. However, I am strictly and vehemently opposed to those whose actions do not match their opinions.

Therefore, to all of you wanting to go kill some Iraqis in order to protect freedom in the United States, walk straight out of your finance or political science class and join the Army. If you don’t, if you just sit there and do nothing, you have no right to your opinion.