Women’s soccer begins preseason with win

Kimber Bailey is one of many crucial players who have returned to the Mustangs roster for the 2007 season.
John Schreiber
Kimber Bailey is one of many crucial players who have returned to the Mustangs’ roster for the 2007 season.

Kimber Bailey is one of many crucial players who have returned to the Mustangs’ roster for the 2007 season. (John Schreiber)

The women’s soccer team defeated the Texas A&M-Commerce Lions 4-2 at Westcott Field on Sunday. The game last Sunday against TAMU-Commerce and this Sunday against Oklahoma are necessary warm-ups for the women’s season opener against the University of Texas-San Antonio at home.

The Lions struck first at the eight-minute mark catching the Mustangs off guard with the first goal of the game. The Mustangs quickly answered with a goal of their own at the 17-minute mark. Senior Kimber Bailey stuck a well-placed diagonal ball to assist fellow senior and sister Krystal Bailey on the game-tying goal.

The Mustangs wasted little time taking the lead by adding the go-ahead goal only five minutes later. Junior Carley Phillips headed in a soaring corner kick from senior midfielder Allison Brill.

With only 11 minutes remaining in the half, Brill added another assist to her stat line when she struck a free kick that led to a goal from deep in the box by Kimber Bailey. The two-goal cushion only lasted three minutes because of another Lions timely goal.

As the half wound down, Brill took a long shot that hung in the air for a while before reaching the back of the net. The tough shot caught the upper right corner of the net and secured a two-goal lead for SMU at the half.

The second half featured no scoring for either team, giving the Mustangs a victory in their preseason opener. The Mustangs kept the second half scoreless by dominating the time-of-possession battle. The women rarely turned the ball over to the Lions and played excellent team defense for 45 minutes.

The Mustangs look to build on their first win over the Lions with another victory against the Oklahoma Sooners. The two teams will play at Westcott field on Sunday, Aug. 26 at 1 p.m.