Students profile spring break spots

South Padre, Texas

At first glance, Padre looks like nothing more than a cheesytourist stop, but once you visit the beach and enjoy the nightlife,you’ll realize there’s a whole lot more to the island,much of which has been protected from development as a pristineocean-front state park.

The weather can be unpredictable, but that is to be expectedsince the vacation spot is right on the Gulf. Wherever you go, takeplenty of sunscreen and carry a book bag with extra clothes, as itcan be a sunny 80 degrees one minute and a rainy 50 the next.

The beach is a great place to walk around or play Frisbee orfootball, but the water is not warm and there is a really strong,chilly wind that blows in from the Gulf. However, there is onelocation that isn’t very busy at all, the nude beach at thevery end of the island, if that tickles your fancy.

The long drive to South Padre is extremely boring until you getto Port Isabel, but despite many hours in the car, it’s worthit to drive over the bridge for a breathtaking, panoramic view ofparadise. Another option is to fly Southwest Airlines to Harlingenand rent a car from there.

Prepare to pay a rather hefty sum for a condo or a hotel roomunless you booked way in advance (like in November).

The Bahamas

From free live bands and crazy dancing at Port Lucaya and IslandRevue with amazing fire dancers to Las Vegas-style shows in Nassau,the Bahamas offer a relaxed Caribbean atmosphere, not too crowded,but still packed with things to do. Activities include fishing,banana boats, parasailing, jet skiing and more.

In the Bahamas, the weather varies from 77 degrees to 89 degreeson average throughout the year, so it’s nice and warm justabout every day. On occasion, the Bahamas will have a short littleshower, but it is just enough to rinse everything off. Be ready forhumidity and a few clouds, but ultimately the bright sun will beamthrough.

Dress and pack for sun, sand and partying. A light jacket orsweater for the cooler Bahamas evenings is a good idea, too.

MTV’s “Real World” and “RoadRules” cast members will be parting in the Bahamas for threewild weeks this spring break. There will be multiple contestsjudged by the cast members. If you can’t catch those, thenyou night see them hanging out in the Port Lucaya Marketplace &International Bazaar, or basking in the sun poolside and on thebeautiful beaches.

Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

Puerto Vallarta is located on the west coast of Mexico,overlooking the Pacific Ocean. It has become increasingly morepopular over the past few years; however, it is not nearly ascrowded as Cancun or Cabo. During SMU’s spring break, daytimetemperatures range in the mid to upper 80’s, and fall to thelower 70‘s at night. Always look ahead at the weatherconditions before you depart.

Tourists flock to Vallarta for the fabulous beaches, greatfishing, and to see the beautiful Bay of Banderas. There is greatshopping in the Marina Vallarta (main square). Don’t forgetto walk around the boardwalk

Don’t mistake Puerto Vallarta as an up and coming Cancun.Vallarta continues to be a quaint Mexican city, but with a growingnumber of hotels. The numbers of clubs are limited, so plan ongoing back to a club more than once. Puerto Vallarta is an excitingplace, but not nearly as wild as Cancun.

If you want to avoid the spring break scene, there are plenty ofbeaches without the party animals. No matter if you’re onspring break or on a family vacation, you have to watch the sunsetover the Bay of Banderas.

Puerto Vallarta does not get as crowded as other hot springbreak spots in Mexico, so generally, it is not too hard to find aspot on the beach. The ocean is usually calm, which is rare formost destination spots in Mexico.

The best restaurants, shopping and bars are all located in themain plaza, which overlooks the Bay of Banderas. This way, once youget to the main square, you don’t have to leave until youwant to go home.

The drinking age is 18, so you can enjoy a nice cold margaritawhile lying on the beach.

Because the city is so spread out, plan on taking a pricey cabride to your destination. Make sure you ask how much it will costbefore you go to your destination. The bus system is reliable nearthe main square; otherwise, it is very sporadic. However, you dosave money riding the bus. Buses run from 6 a.m.-11 p.m. After 11p.m., you can either take a cab or walk.

Don’t forget to drink bottled water.