Haute Happenings Summer 2007

As many of you may already know, the fashion industry has been though a rough time these past few months. Here’s the Cliff’s Notes version of the “haute happenings” in the industry:

Big anniversary celebrations were held all over the world for Neiman Marcus’ 100th, The House of Valentino’s 45th, Christian Dior’s 60th and Jean Paul Gaultier’s 30th, just to name a few.

Sarah Jessica Parker released her new fragrance Covet: is anyone else confused by her bizarre adverts? I think after seeing those strange commercials I am less likely to buy Covet, but who knows, Parker’s fragrance could be the new hot thing.

Prada’s new ad campaign looks less like high-end jackets and accessories and more like something out of a Dr.Suess book. Meanwhile, Mikhail Gorbachev joined the likes of Scarlet Johansson and Jennifer Lopez as the new face of Louis Vuitton-I think we are all still scratching our heads over that one.

Am I the only one who thinks that the new Vuitton “Neverfull MM (and PM)” bags look eerily like the Goyard St. Louis bag? I personally prefer the St. Louis MM to the Neverfull MM: you can’t go wrong with a classic, plus the St. Louis comes in every color of the rainbow.

Some of the top magazines have had serious cover blips this summer: The original photo of Faith Hill was leaked to the media, putting Redbook in a bind for printing a heavily retouched version in which she was distorted in more than 11 areas of the image. W magazine has its own airbrushing issue to handle. I mean, was that really supposed to look like Gwyneth Paltrow? And in the September issue of Elle, which features Lindsay Lohan on the cover, the young actress said, “(she) is glad she went to rehab…(she) really needed it.” Did I mention that 36 hours later she was busted for possession of cocaine? Oh, and Amy Winehouse (artist; “No, no no”) is finally going to rehab for cocanie and herion… yes, yes yes.

As for what’s to come:

The Ritz-Carlton Dallas has officially opened its doors, and is finally ready to accommodate Dallas’ many visitors (I am sure many of which will be SMU parents and alumni). Kim Dawson’s annual Model Search will be held tomorrow, Aug. 18, at Northpark Center. Keep your eye on these kids – they could become the next big supermodels… just look at Erin Wasson and Ali Michael, some of the contest’s most notable winners.

Fashion at the Park will be Nov. 1-4. Get your tickets early as you don’t want to miss out on the most popular shows.

The Council of Fashion Designers of America announced its finalists this year: 3.1 Phillip Lim, Costello Taglapietra, Devi Kroell, Doo-Ri, Jovovick-Hawk, Marchesa, Rag & Bone, Rodarte, Subversive Jewelry and Thakoon-many of which, I am proud to say, can be found in Dallas. The winner and awards will be announced Nov. 16, but until then check out style.com for further updates.

Now for my prediction for the fashion hots and nots of the coming season: the new must-have is anything with pyramid embellishments. Thank you Marc Jacobs, with your worn pyramids with black and blue chipped paint last spring. They are everywhere this fall-belts, bags, and even some of the more avant-garde footwear. The hottest purses for the fall are Lavin – extremely chic bags. These pricey picks are some of the most beautiful and higher quality accessories I’ve encountered. Concerning clothing, everyone is showing modestly cropped jackets, pencil skirts, bright tweeds and an overall clean, sleek, conservative look. Last but certainly not least, please leave those bubble dresses behind, because if you have any sort of butt, they will make you look like a fat cow with J.Lo’s rear end.

As always I invite you to send me any comments or questions you may have about this or any of my articles. Look out for what’s to come this semester in the DC’s new weekly fashion page!