Walker’s spirit still inspiring

“I’ll never forget the first words Doak said to usbefore the Notre Dame game,” Zohn Milam said. “He said‘All my life I’ve dreamed of playing against NotreDame. Now I can’t, but you can,’ and then Doak tearedup, but it was all he needed to say.”

Milam joined former teammate Bob Folsom and host of SMU TVSport’s continuing series “Classic SMU Games”Gerry York Monday afternoon in reminiscing about the 1947 thru’49 Mustang football seasons, a period that York considersunmatched in the SMU sports history book.

Both Milam and Folsom were taken back by vintage black and whitephotos and old game film of their former teammate Doak Walker,SMU’s only Heisman Trophy winner.

“Doak used to always say ‘It ain’tbraggin’ if you done done it,'” Folsom said.

York took the two former Mustangs back through the 1947, and1948 seasons, during which Folsom and Milam chuckled withnostalgia. During the 1949 season though, the two becameemotional.

After Walker won the Heisman in 1948, he was expected to win asecond after the ’49 season. But Walker sustained a severethigh injury during the TCU game, which would keep him out ofplaying in the Notre Dame game at the Cotton Bowl. It would be thelast time Walker would wear an SMU jersey. SMU went on to lose aclose game against the Fighting Irish the next week.

“There were a lot of people in the stands that dayquestioning whether God was a Catholic or a Methodist,” Milamjoked.

The fifth installment of “Classic SMU Games” will beaired later this week on SMU TV.