We Are Scientists brings their music to the loft

On Tuesday, the indie/rock duo, We Are Scientists, will grace The Loft with their presence. That’s right, “The Misunderstood Saints” are coming to Dallas.

Unlike my intrusive interview with Keith Murray (singer), this concert will be anything but an “outrageous invasion of time.”

Their new album, “Barbara,” has proven itself to be one of the band’s most successful albums to date. Its catchy choruses and underlying dance beats make for a spectacular live show. Following the album’s release in early June, We Are Scientists wrapped up a world summer tour in late August that earned “Barbara” immense praise from both critics and fans.

Keith Murray, lead guitarist Chris Cain, and new drummer Andy Burrows continue to leave an electrifying impression on audiences thanks to their charismatic personalities and Keith’s aesthetically pleasing pink amplifier.

Keith and Chris are quite the pair, and anyone who attends a W.A.S. concert is promised much more than your cliché  live experience could ever offer. Instead of preplanned one-liners and monotonous set lists, fans can expect an unforgettable event filled with spontaneity, dry humor and a certain uniqueness other shows lack.

In a recent interview, Keith described the set list as a “grab-bag of songs” and mentioned how they’ve begun experimenting by “yelling out songs” and “not actually making a set list.”

This creates the raw atmosphere bands strive for when in front of a crowd and allows the audience to feel apart of an inimitable show: They are able to participate and leave confident that no other show will be like the one they attended.

The album name alone has attributes unique to the band member’s infamous humor. When speaking to Keith, he informed me that the name “Barbara” was obtained from a woman who “works down the street and mops up spills; she’s a tragedy” in that “she’s always trying to mop with the handle end.”

Whether this was an on-the-spot improvisation or a story based on true events, these guys have a different way of thinking that’s alluring to all audiences. Aside from Barbara herself, the band’s influences include “the cooing of children, the singing of birds in the trees and the murmur of collective historians,” with an emphasis on the historians. With influences such as these, this is a concert that you really can’t stand to pass up.

Whether you’re into rap, classical or even auto-tuned YouTube songs, We Are Scientists is a band worth your time and money for the simple reason that you’re guaranteed to have a good time.

Don’t forget—October 26 at the Loft. Doors open at 8 p.m. Go, you won’t regret it.