Cajun restaurant offers food to “die” for, hosts friendly ghosts

The Catfish Plantation operates out of an old Victorian style house that was built in 1895. (Eric Sheffield / The Daily Campus)

There’s no shortage of restaurants in Dallas.

New or old, drive-through or sit-down, family-owned or chain, the Big D has at least one or two places to suit any taste, but just thirty miles down I-35 in Waxahachie is the Catfish Plantation, a Cajun restaurant that has a taste that’s “to die for.”

The Plantation, known for it’s Po’boys, shrimp platters and of course, it’s catfish, opened in 1984 inside a 19th century Victorian home.

Back in ’84, Tom and Melissa Baker found the property to have a certain bit of charm, and decided it would be the perfect spot to open their restaurant.

Since then, it has remained a haunt for locals and visitors alike.

Cuylene Clemmons, a Morris, Okla. native, often visits her mother and sister in Red Oak, just north of Waxahachie. Whenever she is in town, she makes sure to stop at the Catfish Plantation.

She’s knows exactly what makes the place so supernatural. After all, she has been coming here for years.

“It’s wonderful food, it’s a great atmosphere, it’s just a fun place to eat,” Clemmons said.

But there’s more to the restaurant than meets the eye.

“I also know about the ghostly beings and such,” Clemmons said. “But of course, I’ve never seen one. But then again, you don’t see ghosts.”

When the sun goes down, the ghoulies come out at the Catfish Plantation. There are several ghosts that are said to inhabit the spooky, old house.

One, a resident spirit named Pete, is said to enjoy ‘flirting’ with female guests by grabbing their knee or rubbing their shoulder.

“I’ve actually had my hair played with [and when I] turned around, no one was there,” Amelia Sparks said. Sparks is a hostess at the restaurant.

Sparks’ family bought the establishment from the Baker’s in 2007 and it didn’t take long for them to figure out that the happenings around the building were more than just campfire stories.

“I’ll be sitting up here on a stool and all of a sudden the door next to me will fly open and hit the table in the other room,” Sparks said. “Someone’s got to be doing this and it’s not us.”

Another restless soul, Richard, likes to play pranks with the wait staff. Sparks said that he’ll occasionally press buttons on the cash register that lead to loud, ringing noises and cross the prepared silverware across itself.

The third ghost, Caroline, is a previous owner of the home that is said to be short-tempered. She’s not a fan of some of the other ‘spirits’ in the restaurant.

“When we first started serving alcohol,” Sparks said, “we’d come in the morning and find all of the wine glasses shattered.”

According to the Catfish Plantation website, Sparks’ family invited the Association for the Study of Unexplained Phenomenon to investigate the phantoms shortly after purchasing the restaurant.

Using state of the art equipment, the ASUP confirmed that there were indeed several spirits that interacted with the investigators; luckily, all of the spirits at the house were categorized as “friendly and positive.”

“I don’t really think the ghosts do anything to be malicious,” Sparks said, “It’s just kind of startling, you know?”