Campus ministries hosts ‘Rings’-inspired capture the flag game

Elves? Hobbits? Walking trees? You think you know people until they’re walking around campus in knickers, tights and an itchy, brown burlap sack. Expect to see these individuals Thursday and Friday as Victory Campus Ministries brings back “The Lord of the Rings.”

Mandy Lewis, a junior English major, who heads administration for VCM, recalls dressing in her “Lord of the Rings” garb last semester.

“It’s was hysterical, yet I felt very alone and found that my moral support was somewhat lacking,” Lewis said.

She remembered the excitement she and others experienced.

You may remember seeing various odd characters traipsing down Bishop Boulevard and maybe even entering your classes.

These characters are back on behalf of VCM, which is putting on a “Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers” capture-the-flag game. The themed event will begin at the steps of Dallas Hall at 9 p.m. on Friday. Students will be sent on a search for rings and various other items.

“Last semester we saw between 30 to 50 students participating in our event and we had a great time,” campus minister Deanna Driggers said. “We would love to see more come and join the fun.”

“I’m a psycho fanatic of Lord of the Rings,” Lewis said.

Lewis believes God has ministered to her through these movies as well as the books. She said it has shown her a new realm in the world of writing, and allows her to make parallels between the fantasy world and our reality.

Lewis said that SMU at times feels disjointed and she believes this will be a way to unify the student body.

The focus of this event is not only to have fun and build relationships among SMU students, but also to highlight their ministry and possibly draw more students into VCM. Members of VCM desire to see more interaction between campus organizations and student ministries.

VCM is a 2-year-old, non-denominational ministry supported through Morning Star Christian Church in Dallas. Driggers and Jason Hubbart serve as the campus ministers. Driggers is credited with the idea of bringing the event to the SMU campus.

“It was just a creative, weird thing that came up that we all loved and knew we had to do,” Lewis said.

Interested students should meet at the fountain Friday at 9 p.m. Costumes will be provided.