Pilates with a beat

Spencer J Eggers/The Daily Campus
Beats Per Minute, next to Burger House on Hilcrest, holds fast-paced pilates classes with state-of-the-art equipment.

Beats Per Minute, next to Burger House on Hilcrest, holds fast-paced pilates classes with state-of-the-art equipment. (Spencer J Eggers/The Daily Campus)

Beats Per Minute (BPM) is one of the newest workout hot spots in Dallas.

“Pilates with a beat” is designed specifically to strengthen, lengthen and tone the body.

Bridging the gap among the holistic principles of Pilates, strength training and cardio — this is not your typical heart-pumping workout.

Meghann O’Leary, studio director and lead trainer, graduated from SMU in 2005 and always wished there was a Pilates studio near campus.

O’Leary said she loved the workout so much that she decided to make her dream a reality by bringing a studio to Snider Plaza.

“I personally love our ‘Pilates with a Beat’ classes for many reasons,” O’Leary said. “Visible results [are seen] within 10 classes providing lengthened & toned muscles.”

What does she feel is the most important part of class?

“Great music!” The upbeat music gives the classes a fun, positive environment and the 50 minutes is done in no time.

After trying almost “every workout on the planet,” O’Leary said nothing will offer quicker results. It is the black edition megaformer machines that makes the difference because the springs provide resistance to create long, lean muscles.

“Many runners, golfers, dancers, cyclists, etc. all need a cross training workout and our classes are effective, non-impact on the joints and fun,” she said.

Guys have no excuses to be shy about doing this Pilates workout. The megaformers are designed for both men and women in mind.

Spring break is just around the corner and this could be an opportunity to get toned fast. BPM offers $15 sessions for SMU students.