‘Mustang Rocks’ update

Quindon Taner rocked the competition in Mustang Rocks for the second time during Saturday night’s game. He belted out “The Greatest Love of All,” while a section of fans swayed their arms along to the beat.

Two other contestants, Michael Beard and Nathan Carlisle, both scored high enough to possibly return to compete in the final on March 8.

Peruna sat in as an honorary judge for the evening, but it was the other five judges who decided the night’s winner.

Every contestant shows amazing talent, student body president Dustin Odham said. All of the singers come from a variety of backgrounds, which makes it difficult to pinpoint the strongest singer, he said.

“I have to rely on the crowd’s reaction for help in making my decision,” Odham said.

Betsy Killough, a sophomore corporate communications and public affairs major, disagreed with the judges’ decision on Saturday night. Carlisle made the strongest showing, she said.

“His dynamic voice accompanied with his combination of two songs during the performance really took me by surprise,” Killough said.

While she enjoyed watching all of the contestants, adding a dance element would help show more of the singers’ personality, she said.

Taner will attempt to add another victory to his winning streak at Thursday night’s men’s basketball game. He will compete against three new contestants, including SMU student Cornelius Smith.