Dean of research retires

Narayan Bhat, dean of Research and Graduate Studies, has made adifference on the SMU campus, but after 34 years, Bhat isretiring.

“We have been in denial about him leaving,” saidBarbara Phillips, assistant to the dean. “He is well respected by the SMUcommunity on all levels.”

Bhat still plans to continue making a contribution after hisretirement through reading, researching and writing forpublication.

“He is the perfect example of a faithful and capablesteward of the university, and he will missed,” Provost RossMurfin said.

“He always addresses things objectively with goodhumor,” said Phyllis Payne, assistant to the dean.

During his time at SMU, Bhat has served in many capacities. Hejoined SMU in 1969 as an associate professor in the engineeringdepartment.

He has served as chairman of Computer Science and OperationsResearch, associate dean of the School of Engineering and AppliedSciences, associate dean to Dedman College, interim dean of DedmanCollege, to his most recent position as self-study director duringthe re-accreditation review.

During his tenure his accomplishments range from establishing aprocess to allow students to submit electronic dissertations andapplications to establishing the process of awarding grants forgraduate students.

To find a replacement for Bhat, a search committee will be organized. Thecommittee will consist of students, faculty, staff and a dean. They hope to finda permanent replacement with in the year.

Until the search is over history professor Hal Williams will serve ashis replacement. Wwilliams has been dean of Dedman College for eight years and chairmanof history for four. He is knowledgeable of the daily ins and outs of the department.

But Bhat hardly considers his time at SMU over.

” I am not gone yet,’ Bhat said. ‘There is still much to be done’