Gerald Askew Profile

On the third floor of Hughes-Trigg, Gerald Askew apologized forhis glue- and paint-stained, work-hardened hands and clutteredoffice.

In the foyer on the main floor, he lovingly explained his floralarrangement, “Texas Harvest,” to passers-by.

Building manager and artist are only two of the many titles thatcan be bestowed upon Askew. The 54-year-old is also a student,teacher, father and mentor, and he fulfills all of his roles— including this interview — with a shining smile.

“Everyday is a great day,” he said.

Askew plans to auction off his floral arrangement to help fund atrip to Brisbane, Australia, where he will represent SMU CampusMinistries and the Office of the Chaplain at the International andInterfaith University Chaplains Conference.

Askew began pursuing his master’s in theology degree afterfeeling called to the ministry. He said he debated over thedecision for a year and a half before concluding it was the rightchoice. At SMU, scholarships and employment cover the costs of hiseducation.

“Things came into place that made it feasible,”Askew said.

Before he came to SMU, Askew received his undergraduate degreefrom Waylon Baptist University in Plainview, Texas, and hismaster’s in clinical and counseling psychology from TexasTech University. An internship with the Dallas County Mental Healthand Retardation Center brought him to Dallas.

“Once I got to Dallas, I didn’t want to liveanywhere else!” said Askew, originally from Norfolk, Va.

With only two semesters until he graduates, Askew is not readyto leave.

“I am so pleased to be placed here at this time of mylife,” Askew said.

Askew hopes to remain in University Park for a year after hegraduates and intern in the SMU chaplain’s office with WillFinnin. Eventually, he would like to become a university chaplainhimself.

Askew said “coming from a family of educators, becoming aneducator, and pursuing education” has helped to shape how heworks with students. He has taught at Brookhaven College and JesuitCollege Preparatory School of Dallas and has become acquainted withmany SMU students, stopping to chat with a few who passed throughthe foyer.

“Working with students has always been a joy forme,” Askew said. “If I can do it at 54, you can do itat 19.”

Not only has Askew opened his heart to SMU students, but he hasopened up his home as well. Before Finnin established the PrayerRoom in Hughes-Trigg, Askew said many Muslim students had no placeto pray while on-campus. He offered his house to them for any oftheir five prayers a day.

“I got used to them coming and going,” Askew said.”That’s the kind of hospitality that Christ would haveshowed.”

Since then, several Muslim students have made efforts to educateAskew on the Islam faith, and he has enjoyed how they have includedhim in their experiences.

Askew has been working at his church for five years and alsotrains under a pastor at Highland Park United Methodist Church. Inaddition, he serves as an advocate for the elderly and handicappedand participates in a prison ministry.

At first he did not want to visit the prisons, but “youcan’t stop me now!” he said. For 10 years, Askew hasbeen encouraging the youth and advising them of their options, suchas college, for when they are released.

“Kids learn by what they see,” he said. Instead ofreinforcing the violent and anti-culture habits that led them toprison, Askew teaches them the values that will allow them tocontribute to society.