Concealed carry on campus bill proposes greater threats, not safety

With the support of more than half of the state’s House of Representatives, Texas may soon pass a concealed carry on campus law. While supporters argue self-defense, passing the bill would provide college campuses with more threats than safety.

Cowboy hats, boots and guns: the images that come to mind when picturing the state of Texas. They’re all icons that represent the Lone Star State and symbols that have a place in many Texans’ hearts… but in the classroom? Now that’s going a little too far.

A bill that has the support of over half the members of the Texas House of Representatives will allow concealed guns to be carried on the state’s university campuses. It won’t be long until the bill reaches the hands of Gov. Rick Perry, a notorious gun holder, making those against the bill feel uneasy.

Supporters of the legislation insist that college campuses would be safer if students carried concealed handguns for “self-defense.” Many have said that massacres such as the one at Virginia Tech could have been avoided, had students been allowed to carry concealed guns. Surely, they say, an armed student could have shot back and ended the assailant’s killing spree.

But, say a victim was armed in the event of a school shooting. How would that affect the role of the police officer? An officer arriving to the scene of a shooting will target the first person he sees with a gun, which could very well be a victim in this case.

The gruesomeness of school shootings shouldn’t be desensitized. But school shootings are so rare that allowing students to walk around with guns in their pockets every day, “just in case,” poses a much bigger threat to the campus. Passing the concealed carry on campus bill would create a lot more issues than it would solve.

Students would flinch at the drop of every backpack. Professors could become intimidated by gun toting students (grade inflation, anyone?). Of course, only licensed individuals would have the “privilege” of carrying concealed weapons, but that creates a whole new problem in itself.

Ever heard that individuals need to be 21 to obtain a license to firearms? How about that you need to be 21 to enter a bar and consume alcohol? The amount of underage drinkers is not a surprise to any college student. Having the privilege to drink legally is a status admired and envied by those underage, and the same jealousies may occur among those too young to own a gun as well. Unqualified and immature people would be handling guns. Don’t think underage gun handlers would act irresponsibly? Just think about how many underage drinkers get in drinking and driving accidents.

Think about the lethal combination of alcohol and firearms. Parties involving alcohol occur in dorms and fraternity houses, both of which are located on campuses. Not to mention the tailgate parties that occur on campuses before football games and even the games themselves: how comfortable would you feel in a closed-in stadium knowing that at least a fraction of the attendees (many possibly under the influence) were carrying concealed weapons?

Clearly, a campus is no place for guns and the passing of a concealed carry on campus bill will lead to more gun violence on campus, not less.

Nicolle Keogh is a senior journalism and french double major. She can be reached for comments or questions at [email protected].