Chaplin encourages religious discussions in classrooms

Questions of faith may be entering SMU classrooms, as Rev. Dr. Stephen Rankin would like people to feel more comfortable discussing religion.

The chaplain and minister to the university delivered “Seeking a Better Way: SMU as a Leader in Church-Affiliated Higher Education,” as part of the Wilson Lecture Series Thursday afternoon in the Hughes-Trigg Ballroom.

Rankin isn’t insisting that Christianity—or any religion, for that matter—be incorporated to every student’s curriculum, but he does feel that professors should feel comfortable with mentioning it if it’s appropriate.

Alluding that some people are confused on the matter, Rankin clarified that “SMU is not a Christian university—it is a Christian-affiliated university.”

Professors throughout the room shook their heads in agreement as the chaplain said many students raise questions to their professors about issues unrelated to course content. While a classroom discussion may be appropriate to integrate religion, Rankin said, “many professors hesitate going too far in this direction in their class work.”

Rankin does not feel professors should feel obligated to bring religion into the classroom, but to integrate “faith questions wherever we see appropriate and leave them out when appropriate.”