Best student employee chosen

Nayera M. Sadek to head to Orlando for regionals

SMU faculty members showed their appreciation for their studentemployees April 16 at a luncheon where Nayera M. Sadek, from theEdwin J. Foscue Map Library, was named the 2004 SMU UniversityStudent Employee of the Year.

SMU, a member of the Southern Association of Student EmploymentAdministrators, participated in the National Student EmploymentWeek held April 12-16.

The luncheon was the highlight of the week honoring 15 nomineesfor Student Employee of the Year.

Students and faculty members gathered in the Laura Lee Blantonbuilding to celebrate with food, cake, and monetary awards.

Sadek received a $100 award and a ticket to the Regional SASEAStudent Employee of the Year competition held in Orlando, Fla.

If Sadek wins in regionals, she will be going to the NationalSASEA competition to compete for the title of National StudentEmployee of the Year.

Each of the 14 nominees received a $50 award and a certificatefor their contributions presented by the Student Financial AidOffice.

Each department had the opportunity to nominate a studentemployee who makes outstanding contributions while continuing toexcel academically. Not only does the department benefit fromhaving student employees, but student employees can alsobenefit.

“Working for the engineering department I have gotten toknow some of the professors better,” said nominee KristinaGannon, a junior computer engineering major. “It helps memake better connections.”