SMU military veterans collect, donate care packages

The+U.S.+Military+Veterans+of+SMU+came+out+in+full+force+on+the+Boulevard+to+collect+donations+before+Saturday+afternoon%E2%80%99s+game+against+Navy.+
Spencer J Eggers/The Daily Campus
The U.S. Military Veterans of SMU came out in full force on the Boulevard to collect donations before Saturday afternoon’s game against Navy.

The U.S. Military Veterans of SMU came out in full force on the Boulevard to collect donations before Saturday afternoon’s game against Navy. (Spencer J Eggers/The Daily Campus)

The U.S. Military Veterans of SMU organized a donations drive for care packages in honor of Veterans Day Weekend.

Students were able to meet and greet with the 173 veterans who currently attend SMU and to show their support for active troops.

Over the past few weeks, veterans worked to raise awareness by distributing fliers, soliciting donations and through a Facebook profile picture campaign.

The executive board of the Veterans Club also reached out to the SMU Student Senate and other organizations for publicity and support.

The donations drive included two main events, a collections booth on Friday in Hughes-Trigg and at the veterans’ tent before the game.

Requested donations included nonperishable candy and snacks, books, magazines, toiletries and financial donations to purchasing care package items and cover shipping and handling fees.

The care packages will be sent overseas to troops serving in combat.

“Our goal [is] to benefit the men and women serving in Iraq and Afghanistan by providing supplies and morale boosters that would not otherwise be available in a deployed location,” Ian Thorburn, the vice president of U.S. Military Veterans at SMU, explained.

Veterans Club President Santiago Martinez believes that the club and the donations drive are a way to recognize the service and sacrifice of the active military as well as those of the future student veterans at SMU.”

“There is a proud and rich history of honorable service and sacrifice of SMU student veterans within the University, dating back from WWI to the present day wars in Iraq and Afghanistan,” Martinez said.

Another aspect of the donations drive is to facilitate interaction with the greater SMU student body.

“As veterans we have a different perspective on the college experience than the traditional student. We are older, many of us have families and children of our own, and we are typically financially independent,” Thorburn said. “Attending college alongside younger students that do not share this background can be an alienating experience.”

On Friday alone, the Veterans Club raised more than $350 and received a large amount of donations.

The number of donations at Saturday’s event cannot be verified at this time.

The care packages should reach the deployed troops in time for the holidays.