Dallas celebrates St. Patrick’s Day with annual Greenville parade

There are two things that Dallas essentially does right, the first being the Texas State Fair, the other being St. Patrick’s Day. For some reason, every year around March 17, the city of Dallas lets down its hair and for once has a little bit of fun. This year, one should expect nothing different.

Famous for its St. Patty’s Day Parade, Dallas’ lower Greenville area will be hosting perhaps the holiday’s biggest event Saturday. The parade will begin at 10 a.m. However, be sure not have green beer to close in proximity to the parade, as the law has changed towards the once relaxed open container policy. Instead of asking patrons simply to pour the contents of their alcoholic beverage out, Dallas police officers will be issuing $250 situations to those caught with alcohol within 18 feet of public-right-of-way.

If watching floats go down Greenville Avenue isn’t your thing, then why don’t you try running down the street? Dallas’ annual “Dash Down Greenville,” social run will be held Saturday morning starting at 8:30 a.m. The run invites its participants to kick off Dallas’ St. Patrick’s Day celebrations with live music and free food. The best part: it’s free. The 5K run is $30 for each team, with all proceeds going toward the North Texas Food Bank.

Starting at noon on Saturday, Greenville gets even more St. Patrick’s Day action as the Granada theatre hosts its annual “St. Patrick’s Day Parade Patio Party.” The event, much like everything else on St. Patrick’s Day, is free. The party will feature the bands like The Raspas, Dave Willingham Procket, Melody Memory, Sing Kuba and the Mystic Heights.

Dallas-based band The Toadies will be adding to the St. Patrick’s Music scene as it performs one of its first concerts in Dallas in three years at Energy Square Plaza. The band is the headlined name for the Dallas Observer’s concert that will feature other artists like Here Holy Spain, True Widow and Ishi.

As always, Dallas’ St. Patrick’s Day festivities are second to none. With seemingly limitless amounts of free food, free concerts and free drinks, there is no excuse to put on a little green and have a little fun this weekend.