Rutledge, Kinkade and Harris go to NFL

Four Mustangs will be playing in the pros next fall after thisweekend’s NFL Draft. Leading the way was cornerback andkickoff returner Jonas Rutledge, who signed a deal with theTennessee Titans.

“The Titans called during the seventh round of the draftand offered to me a two-year deal,” Rutledge said. “Iwas just thinking how glad I was that I get the opportunity to keepplaying and living my dream.”

NFL.com described Rutledge as “a well-built athlete, withquick feet and fluid hip turn.” He was clocked at running a4.6 second 40-yard dash.

During his SMU career, Rutledge returned 87 kickoffs for 2,154yards (a 24.8 yards per return average) and one touchdown. He brokeArthur Whittington’s previous school career record of 81 for1,649 yards (made in 1977). Rutledge will head for theTitans’ rookie camp on Thursday.

Also making the jump from the Hilltop to the pros are runningback Keylon Kincade and offensive lineman Sterling Harris.

Kincade signed a deal to join the New York Giants. He will alsojoin this weekend’s first overall selection, quarterback EliManning, in the New York backfield.

Harris inked a deal with the Cleveland Browns. The offensivetackle was a mainstay on the Mustang line for three years.

Chris “The Comet” Cunningham will also head to theCanadian Football League’s Toronto Argonauts. The widereceiver was a three-time letterman for the Mustangs.