Fraternity violates recruitment rules

Fraternity violates recruitment rules
Fraternity violates recruitment rules

Fraternity violates recruitment rules

Lambda Chi Alpha fraternity received a $5,000 fine after allegedly violating Interfraternity Council rules for recruitment last week. IFC also limited the number of bids the fraternity was able to extend to potential members to 30.

The punishment comes after Ryan Jacobson, an official from Sigma Phi Epsilon national headquarters, discovered members of the Lambda Chi fraternity and several potential members at a party at the Doubletree Hotel, sources within both houses reported.

According to SMU’s IFC recruitment rules, fraternity members are forbidden from having contact with potential members after 10 p.m.

These rules also stipulate that potential members should “never receive alcohol from the chapter, its members, or other individuals at any time.”

According to sources, Jacobson, who was in town to supervise the Sig Ep recruiting process and staying at the Doubletree, accidentally exited the hotel elevator on the wrong floor. There he came across a party in progress where he recognized some of the potential members from recruitment week activities. He alerted the hotel management of the minors in possession of alcohol and immediately notified Jim Barber, coordinator of student activities and fraternity programs.

Lambda Chi now faces judicial sanctions from the SMU judicial board.

“Sigma Phi Epsilon [was] not at all associated with the party,” said Jonathan Nerger, vice president of communications for Sig Ep. “No one in the SMU chapter of Sig Ep was involved with the party.”

The Lambda Chi Alpha chapter president could not be reached for comment by press time.