SMU returns home to play Fresno State

SMU returns home to play Fresno State
SMU returns home to play Fresno State

SMU returns home to play Fresno State

The Mustangs will play their own version of “On the Road Again” as they play a WAC opponent at Moody Coliseum for the first time. SMU (6-7, 1-2 WAC) will face conference-leading Fresno State (11-3, 4-1) team that has beaten the Mustangs four times in a row. SMU will try to reach the .500 mark for the first time since Jan. 2.

Fresno is in the midst of a three-game road trip that saw them lose to Hawaii in Honolulu. After tonight’s contest in Moody, the Bulldogs will travel to Ruston, La., where SMU lost its conference competition opener.

Fresno State is one of the better defensive ball clubs in the conference, holding opponents to 42 percent filed goal shooting while connecting on 46 percent of their own attempts. The Bulldogs also out-rebound their opponents by an average of 36-31.

SMU is undefeated at home (4-0), but has played nine road games and have won only once. Fresno has been more fortunate, having played only four road games. Only three of those games have outside the state of California. The Bulldogs are 0-3 in those games.

SMU is starting to recover from a number of injuries that have forced several players to sit out. The health problems have led to a revolving door in the starting unit and inconsistent bench production.

Despite the physical concerns, the Mustangs will finally have the psychological advantage of having the Moody crowd behind them.

Senior guard Quinton Ross (1,405) is 38 points from surpassing Stephen Woods (1,443) for ninth on SMU’s all-time scoring list. He will figure to be instrumental in SMU’s offensive and defensive gameplan.

Bulldog guard Damon Jackson averages just over 12 points per contest, but has the ability to catch fire. Ross’s defense against Jackson could prove the difference if SMU can stay close.