Faculty focuses on future goals

Members from every faculty department gathered Jan.15 for the first Faculty Senate meeting of the semester. Assistant Chaplin Judy Hennenberg opened the meeting with an invocation, and Faculty Senate President Bill Bridge welcomed the senate members back to school.

Minutes from the fall semester meeting were approved, and Bridge highlighted the different senate committees and their dedication to key issues on campus. Provost Ross Murfin presented awards to distinguished faculty members.

The President’s Associates Outstanding Faculty Award was presented to Ed Biehl, chair of the department of chemistry, and Kathleen Wellman, of the department of chemistry.

Murfin then gave a faculty address on SMU’s goal to rank in the top 50 universities in the country, but he concentrated on the key differences that make the campus unique.

Trying too hard to emulate our benchmark schools could cause SMU to lose the differences that shape the campus. He highlighted the campus as a great resource in the city of Dallas and emphasized its role as a connection to businesses and future job opportunities in the area.

He also noted that SMU has come impressively far as a fairly young school. SMU’s commitment to undergraduate teaching, its graduate programs and its professional education shape the school’s strong academics. The many student organizations on campus draw involved and self-motivated students to the school. Also, the Hunt Scholarship is unique in that it places a strong emphasis on leadership skills in addition to solid academic work, he said.

Murfin closed the address by highlighting SMU’s strengths, and he committed to using the University’s strong assets for further development.