‘Spelling Bee’ : D-E-L-I-G-H-T-F-U-L

MICHAEL DANSER/The Daily Campus
David Price, from left, Hunter Ringsmith, Sudi Abernathy and Esther Oh perform during a dress rehearsal of “Spelling Bee,” Tuesday evening, which opens this weekend at Margo Jones Theatre inside the Owen Arts Center.

David Price, from left, Hunter Ringsmith, Sudi Abernathy and Esther Oh perform during a dress rehearsal of “Spelling Bee,” Tuesday evening, which opens this weekend at Margo Jones Theatre inside the Owen Arts Center. (MICHAEL DANSER/The Daily Campus)

Quirky, clever and filled with the alphabet, “The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee” has been charming audiences since its Broadway debut in 2005.

Thanks to the hard work of Jason Moody, it’s taking over the Margo Jones Theatre this weekend, and it is a show you do not want to miss.

The adorably irresistible production was directed, designed and built almost entirely by Moody. And the cast of vocal, theater and dance students that he has assembled is without a weak link.

The musical opens with the spotlight on vocal student Laura Smolik, who has taken the role of Rona Lisa Peretti, the moderator of the spelling bee.

Smolik, whose voice has been impressing people all over Dallas, fills the role of a sweet, sentimental woman with the acting skills to match her beautiful voice.

Then again, the entire cast seems to be without fault.

From Ryan Glenn’s hilarious Vice Principal Douglas Panch to Sudi Abernathy’s sweet-voiced Olive Ostrovsky to David Price’s snotty-nosed William Barfee, there is no one in this cast that will disappoint.

This is also one of those shows that constantly breaks down the fourth wall and invites the audience into the world of the spelling bee (four audience members are literally asked to participate).

Growing up, standing out and learning to accept yourself when you fail are just three of the themes this musical wrestles with and inspire the songs.

In the case of Boy Scout Chip Tolentino (Hunter Ringsmith), his big song “My Unfortunate Erection” is an explanation for why he missed the word “tittup.”

Without a doubt, Moody has pulled something off that is quite astounding because “Spelling Bee” doesn’t feel like a student production at all.

His costume, lighting, and set design combined with a stellar cast, perceptive direction and talented student musicians to boot will have you convinced that there are professionals behind the scenes.

Since this is a student production, tickets are free (though donations are suggested), giving you absolutely no excuse not to attend this sensational show.

Sensational. S-E-N-S-A…. Oh shoot, they’ve got me spelling.

“Spelling Bee” opens Friday night at 8 p.m in the Margo Jones Theatre inside Owen Arts Center. Performances continue Saturday at 2 p.m., 8 p.m. and Sunday at 2 p.m.