Mustangs, Ross rally falls short against Fresno

With 15 seconds remaining against the Fresno State Bulldogs, the SMU basketball team had one shot to tie or win the game. Senior guard Quinton Ross’ three-point shot fell short with one second remaining and SMU lost 73-75.

After being out-rebounded 22-11 in the first half and shooting only 40 percent from the field, SMU was fortunate to only be down 34-33 at halftime.

We came out flat,” Ross said. Ross was held to only two points in the first half.

While Fresno keyed Ross during the first half, junior forward Kris Lowe and freshman guard Bryan Hopkins chipped in with eight points.

Fresno State was given every chance to run away with the game in the second half but failed to capitalize on numerous opportunities.

With the Bulldogs leading 49-41 with less than ten minutes remaining, SMU went on an 11-4 run to bring them within one. However, with a string of turnovers and some forced shots by the Mustangs, Fresno extended its lead to 68-58 with 4:30 remaining in the game.

But the Bulldogs wavered from the free throw line in the second half, shooting only 5-16. SMU, behind 21 second-half points from Ross, cut Fresno State’s lead to two points with 15 seconds remaining.

After another Bulldog-missed free throw, Ross brought the ball up. He was denied the ability to drive the lane and went for the win with the three-pointer.

“I probably should’ve drove, but I settled for the jumper,” said Ross.

Head coach Mike Dement thought Ross’ shot had a chance.

“Quinton was able to create some good space for himself,” Dement said. “I thought the shot that he had was a good shot.”

Despite the good showing against the No. 1 team in the WAC, Dement emphasized that the game was a missed opportunity.