Dazzling dates in and around Dallas

Part one of a two-part series
 Dazzling dates in and around Dallas
Dazzling dates in and around Dallas

Dazzling dates in and around Dallas

Instead of replying to the annoying question of “What’s going on tonight?” with the standard “I dunno. What do you want to do?”, stun your significant other with an original response. The Dallas community offers many amenities that college students usually don’t consider when planning a date.

The standard date

The Studio Movie Grill dinner-and-a-movie is a standard date, but at Studio Movie Grill the idea is to enjoy your food and the movie at the same time. Located at 5405 Beltline Road or in Plano at 4721 Park Blvd, Studio Movie Grill puts a spin on standard dating. Check the Web site at www.studiomoviegrill.com for show times.

The Magnolia Theatre located at 3699 McKinney Ave. in the West Village is another great alternative to the classic movie date. With its neon-clad, art deco essence, The Magnolia lends itself to a great evening. Instead of waiting in an empty theater for your show to begin, head upstairs to The Fuel Bar for a quick drink.

Romantic hot spots

If romance is what you’re looking for, Dallas offers a plethora of restaurants and places to set the right mood.

The Grape is the perfect setting for an intimate dinner. The private tables, twinkling lights and mural-covered brick walls will provide romantic ambiance. The menu changes but the waitstaff will help with the perfect wine from their extensive list. The Grape is located at 2808 Greenville Ave. Call (214) 282-1981 for reservations.

Reunion Tower provides a breathtaking view of Dallas and is a prime setting for a memorable evening. Gazing out the windows, you and your date will enjoy the exclusive 360-degree view of the Dallas skyline. If you don’t want to eat dinner at Antares, then check out the bar, The Dome Lounge. The observation deck is open from 10 a.m. – 10 p.m. Sunday through Thursday and 9 a.m. – 11 p.m. on Friday and Saturday. Both make a 360-degree revolution every 55 minutes. The lounge trip costs $2 per person. The tower is located at 300 Reunion Blvd East. Call (214) 651-1234 for more information.

Inexpensive but memorable

You don’t have to spend a fortune to have a good time. Dallas’ many parks can be the perfect setting for a date. Pick up lunch or dinner from a market, like Eat-Zi’s on Lemmon Avenue or Central Market at Lovers and Greenville and grab a blanket. Leave the bottle of wine at home. Alcohol is prohibited. Add a CD player, and you have all the makings of a great date.

White Rock Lake located around 830 East Lawther Drive in north Dallas can be romantic or casual. The homes at White Rock are magnificent, so a drive on the winding roads can be enjoyable. Take a walk or ride bikes along the nine-mile waterfront paths, or dangle your feet off a pier overlooking the lake.

The Dallas Museum of Art is ideal for the quiet and artistic date. Stroll around the museum and check out its current exhibit and then share a sack lunch and art discussion outside by the waterfalls. It’s located downtown on 1717 North Harwood and is open Tuesday through Sunday 11 a.m. – 5 p.m. Admission is free with your SMU student ID card.

Open houses can create an excellent Sunday afternoon date. Pretend that the two of you are in the market for a home and go to your favorite neighborhood to check out the open houses. Wander through a total stranger’s home and point out things you like and dislike about the decor without feeling guilty about it.

D/FW International Airport Observation Area is where you can watch planes fly over your head. With over 2,500 flights leaving D/FW every day, you won’t miss anything if you’re late. If heading out to D/FW doesn’t sound like a good idea, just head over to Dallas Love Field and park your car on top of the garage and watch planes zoom over your head.

Adventurous dating

If your date is the adventurous type, then finding just the right place to take him is simple. Dallas has an enormous theme park and professional sports teams that can be perfect for a date.

Dallas is home to the Dallas Stars, the Dallas Cowboys and the Dallas Mavericks. The Stars play home games in the American Airlines Center downtown. The cold stadium, loud noise and crazy fans can bring out the sports enthusiast in anyone. Ticket prices range from $25 for Terrace level, to $300 for front-row seats.

If you’re lacking in dinner etiquette and looking for a fight, Medieval Times could be the place you want to go. Treat your date to an interactive meal during the days of King Arthur. Eat your meal with your hands and cheer on your favorite knight as he jousts for the title of champion. This date could take up to three hours, and costs $44 per person, but the experience is unbeatable.

Taking a date rock climbing can take your relationship to new heights. Stone Works Climbing Gym claims to be the world’s largest indoor climbing gym and only costs $10 for an all day pass, so put on your boots and head to Stone Works located at 1003 Fourth Ave. in Carrollton.

For extreme dating, try skydiving or bungee jumping. If you’re not up for the real thing, Zero Gravity offers four simulated thrill seeking rides: Nothin’ but Net, Texas Blastoff, Skycoaster and bungee jumping. Nothin’ But Net is the only ride of its kind in America. You are lifted 16 stories high then released to drop 100 feet without anything supporting you. The Skycoaster is a hang-gliding and skydiving simulator that can reach up to 60 mph and is 110 feet high. The Texas Blastoff will send you and your date flying 150 feet into the air, going zero to 70 mph in only 1.2 seconds. You can also bungee jump from a seven story tower. Prices vary from $21 to $39 per person per ride, but the Double Trill Seeker special includes all four rides for $91 per person. Take home a video tape of your adventure for only $35 more. Zero Gravity is located at 11131 Malibu Dr. in Dallas.

Look for part two next Friday . . .

Dazzling dates in and around Dallas

Dazzling dates in and around Dallas