A call for unity among the Greek community

Christopher Saul / The Daily Campus
The Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity has been at the center of recent campus controversy.

The Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity has been at the center of recent campus controversy. (Christopher Saul / The Daily Campus)

At one point in “Remember the Titans,” Denzel Washington brings his racially divided team out to the grounds of the Battle of Gettysburg and presents them with an ultimatum for life that went as such:

“If we don’t come together right now on this hallowed ground, we too will be destroyed, just like they were. I don’t care if you like each other or not, but you will respect each other. And maybe… I don’t know, maybe we’ll learn to play this game like men.”

There is buzz around this campus that we, as a whole, have a culture problem. And maybe we do.

Many people will tell you that the root of the problem is Greek life. In fact, if you ask enough people or read enough articles, Greek life is to blame for the lack of school spirit, a divided community, underage drinking and the inconveniences of construction.

As a member of this university’s Greek system, I feel personally attacked. Greek life, though not for everyone, has challenged me personally and academically. I can truthfully say I am a better person because of the role models and support system I have surrounded myself with. Nonetheless, Greek life is guilty of one thing- a poor display of community unity.

Sure, sororities are loyal to their respective letters and fraternities are willing take ritual secrets to the grave. But for some reason we have all failed to realize that outside our own respective Greek organization, we are members of the larger Greek system of SMU. The real “problem” with Greek life is the war we are waging against one another.

Greek life will never earn the respect of administration and those outside the Greek community until we realize that the battle for the best isn’t among ourselves. Instead of tearing one another down and relishing in the defeat of our “enemies,” we should strive as a Greek community to excel and exemplify the highest standards of SMU.

It’s disheartening to overhear fraternity members in Umphrey Lee saying, “It’s pretty funny Sig Ep got kicked off because what we’ve done is so much worse. They are the nerds and nice guys and they’re the ones that are gone. What a joke the administration is.”

Ladies and gentlemen, that right there is the “culture problem.” The fact that anyone in the Greek community would celebrate or relish in the current suspensions and probations of multiple organizations on this campus is the reason why the Greek community is currently facing such adversity. I’m a fan of healthy competition – it’s what this great country was founded on.

But the internally destructive behavior of the Greek community will eventually bring us all down. When one house falls, it is a negative reflection of the entire community.

First and foremost we are Mustangs: something that much of the Greek community has forgotten.

So, my fellow fraternity and sorority members, if we don’t come together right now on this beautifully manicured Boulevard lawn, we too will be destroyed, just like they were.

I don’t care if you like each other or not, but you will respect each other. And maybe, I don’t know, maybe, we’ll change the minds of those who scorn us.

Strickland is a junior majoring in communications, public relations and anthropology.