Genetics plays role in sleep patterns

How many hours of sleep do you really need? Are you getting a cup of coffee from Umph because you didn’t get your usual eight hours of sleep? Are you taking naps or dozing off in class to recover from the six hours you barely got the night before?

For an elite group of sleepers, six or more hours of sleep would be a waste of time. A pick-me-up coffee or afternoon nap are not needed for their four hour sleeping patterns. These select few, who make up about one to three percent of people, are called “short sleepers” or “super sleepers.”

Respected publications including The Wall Street Journal have begun to discuss the phenomena of the sleeping elite.

Like most personality characteristics, these sleepless wonders have a genetic trait that often shows up at a young age. I am sorry to say that you can’t become a super sleeper. Either you have it or you don’t.

“While we may claim that we can function on five or so hours of sleep, the truth of the matter is that if you’re only getting five hours of sleep each night, you are very, very sleep deprived,” Dr. Michael J. Breus, a clinical psychologist, said.

The people who are trying to fool themselves with only a few hours of sleep will eventually suffer the consequences of fatigue and a bad attitude. So beware of the “short sleeper” imitators. Also, avoid those all-nighters because they will eventually do you in.

In several different studies, “short sleepers” were found to have different circadian rhythms and higher metabolisms than most people. They are usually thinner, and they usually have a higher tolerance for both psychological and physical pain. One would think there has to be something wrong with them, or that there must be something undesirable with this genetic anomaly. In truth, “super sleepers” are actually very upbeat and optimistic individuals who do not need much sleep.

“It is neat that there are individuals who only a need four hours of sleep. Think about all that extra time they have,” SMU junior Kimberly Mendoza said.

Many historical figures are thought to have been elite sleepers including Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Jefferson and Leonardo da Vinci to name a few.

If you think you are a “short sleeper,” ask yourself these questions. Do you not like to take naps when given the time? What would you do after your hell week over the weekend: Sleep in? Or wake up early and get ahead on other things? When on the phone do you find yourself multitasking?

Do not be frustrated if you are not one of them. The lifestyle is not for everyone so enjoy the sleep you get! Sleep is not overrated and it is good to get at least the six to eight hours. You will feel refreshed, more productive, and avoid being that hated grouch.

“I literally plan my day, work schedule around sleep to make sure I get enough rest,” sophomore Kian Hervey said. “For some students, sleeping is a hobby.”