SMU women welcome Rice, Hayes

SMU women welcome Rice, Hayes
SMU women welcome Rice, Hayes

SMU women welcome Rice, Hayes

SMU returns home Thursday, their first game in Moody following a two-game road trip. The Mustangs won one and lost one en route to a 9-6 record, 3-2 in the WAC.

SMU has won three of its last four, the most recent victory coming against Nevada. The women’s conference season has mirrored the men’s. While the men’s team was away playing Louisiana Tech, Hawaii and San Jose State, the women were here in Dallas facing the same opponents.

When the women went on the road against Fresno State and Nevada, the men were taking on their counterparts in Moody.

The women, as a result, have a 5-2 record at home and host a Rice team that has struggled on the road (1-5).

Senior Kaci Alexander and junior Andrea Cossey have been crucial pieces to SMU’s success and none of that figures to change. Cossey is SMU’s all-time leading three-point shooter with 162 field goals.

Alexander had a strong showing against Nevada, scoring 21 points and pulling down seven rebounds. Freshman Sarah Davis, who was nominated for WAC Player of the Week, put up 17 and 24-point performances on the road.

Returning home to Moody should be a big plus for SMU. With a 1-2 record against teams ranked in the top 20, the Mustangs conference games at home should boost their rise to the top of the WAC.

Rice comes into Moody Coliseum as the WAC’s fifth-place team. The Lady Owls have won four of their last five games, including a one-point loss in overtime.

Rice center Johnetta Hayes was named WAC Player of the Week for Jan. 13-19. Hayes averaged 25.5 points and 10.5 rebounds in two wins. She averages 14.2 points and 8.4 rebounds on the season.

Hayes is the only Lady Owl averaging double-digit scoring. Hayes’ contributions are invaluable. Rice is 2-5 when Hayes does not lead the team in scoring.

In Rice’s last game, Hayes and Elise Inman led a late Rice rally, leading the team to a 76-67 win over Texas-El Paso Saturday night at Autry Court in Houston.

UTEP led 67-62 with 5:00 left in the game. The Lady Owls went to the inside game to take over. Rice took the lead at 68-67 with 2:43 left in the game. Rice went on a 14-0 run to put the game out of reach.

Hayes’ 28 points on the night was a career high, breaking the mark that she had set only a few nights earlier. The loss was UTEP’s fifth straight on the road.

SMU and Rice are right next to each other in the standings. The outcome of the game could prove very important in March. Hayes must win the match up against Alexander for Rice to have a chance. Even then the Lady Owls must contend with Cossey.

The game is scheduled to tip off at 7 p.m. at Moody Coliseum.

SMU women welcome Rice, Hayes