Better Friday

Ed Board has some tips for holiday travelers

If students and faculty haven’t left already, a number ofthem will make an exodus from campus this weekend. Good Friday isthe only post-spring break holiday, and the last day off beforefinals.

It does not matter where SMU voyagers are going, as long as theyget this three-day break from their day-to-day hassles. The keyhere is to make the right decisions before embarking on theirvoyage so they can avoid as much annoyance as possible.

Those who use an automobile as their source of transportationshould plan on leaving early in the day to avoid afternoon rushhours but late enough to skip the morning commute.

People with long road trips ahead of them might want to takesome snacks and drinks with them but control their indulgences sothey aren’t forced to make frequent stops.

It is safe to assume that most members of the SMU community willtravel by airplane to their destinations. Considering mostpeople’s vacation will be about three days long, they shouldtry and pack as light as possible. This forgoes the long lines atsuitcase checking stations before check-in and watching thatstagnant baggage claim carrousel after the flight.

No matter what, air travelers must be at the airport at least 30minutes before their flight. Those efficient self-check kiosksmajor airlines are using will not give you a boarding passotherwise.

Missing a flight by only a few minutes hurts almost as much asbeing bumped from your non-stop flight. Travelers may be forced totake a flight with an out-of-the-way stop.

Now, if these travelers are late they must not force their angeron ticket agents, security guards and other passengers. A mutuallevel of respect has to be distributed all around.

That starts from following some of the basic orders at securitycheckpoint by the gates.

All laptops have to be removed from baggage. If they are not,guards will stop the entire line to remove the laptop and put itthrough the entire process all over again.

Shoes no matter what shape, size, color or fabric must beremoved. Even if there is a chance the shoes will pass through thedetector, the guard-slash-valet will ask you to remove them.

Traveling this weekend might seem more of a hassle to some, butit won’t be if you follow some of these tips. Ed Board wisheseveryone a happy and safe three-day weekend.