Letters to the editor

Response from SMU PD

Dear Editor:

In light of recent coverage in The Daily Campus, I wantto clarify procedures the SMU Police Department follows duringinvestigations and the issuing of campus alerts.

When criminal activity is reported, that activity isinvestigated. Evidence and information are gathered. If identified,complainants, witnesses and suspects are interviewed. Examples ofsupporting evidence may include a description of the suspect,statements of eyewitnesses, and physical and/or forensic evidence.A police report is written, and information is provided to theOffice of Public Affairs, which issues a campus alert, usually assoon as possible within 24 hours. If the evidence supports acriminal charge and the complainant wishes, the case file will beforwarded to the Dallas County District Attorney’sOffice.

With regard to the police activity log, the SMU PoliceDepartment complies with federal law by making available a publiclog via the Internet. The log contains certain requiredinformation, if known to police, including a synopsis of theincident. Updates are made as additional information is learned.Other federal laws prevent SMU from commenting beyond theinformation described above.

Promoting the safety and security of the SMU community is theprimary mission of the university’s police department, whichhas a record of issuing timely information supporting that goal. Weencourage the assistance of everyone in the SMU community to helpus fight crime. Among our best tools is participation by communitymembers in our many offerings of safety and crime preventiontraining throughout the year. You may contact Lt. Enrique Jemmottat (214) 768-2607 to enroll. Thank you.

Michael R. Snellgrove

SMU Chief of Police