Mustangs to debut new offense

For football fans longing for those crisp autumn days filledwith pigskin pageantry, this weekend could provide some refuge.

Mustang football will hold its annual spring scrimmage, the Red& Blue Game, Saturday at 1 p.m. at Gerald J. Ford Stadium.

When the Mustangs take the field starters and newcomers alikewill get a chance to compete. One of the highlights of theafternoon should be the unveiling of the Mustang’s newoffensive scheme.

“While we’re going to keep everything pretty basic,and not show too much, we are going to show a lot more stuff out ofa four-wide set,” senior tackle Eric Neal said . The offensethat originated at the University of Cincinnati will be easy tograsp for many of the young players.

“This new offense has been keeping the defense on itstoes,” senior defensive end Don Ieremia-Stansbury said.”We’ve really had to be on top of our ‘P’sand Q’s’ to keep up with the no-huddle scheme and2-minute drills, which the offense has started witheveryday.”

The game will be the first preview of what Mustang fans shouldexpect for the 2004 regular season, and Ieremia-Stansbury thinksfans will be pleased.

“In the spring game, you always see how excited everyoneis for next season, old veterans and young bucks alike,” hesaid. “We’re just ready to get out there andplay.”

The action will kick off Friday night. The Men’s Soccerteam will take on Midwestern State in its annual spring game atWestcott Field at 7:30 p.m. Sunday, the Women’s Soccer teamwill take on the Brazilian National team at 2 p.m., and theMen’s Tennis team will play at noon on Sunday at HaggarTennis Complex.

Saturday morning around 10:30 a.m., Ford Stadium will be invadedby children ages 5-13 for the Red & Blue Youth Football Clinic.Players and coaches will instruct the youngsters in skills anddrills until noon.

“On top of expanding our fan base, the Youth Clinic willbe a great way to reach out and give back to the surroundingcommunity,” said Neal. “It’s great that we getthe chance to tell about our love for the game, and share with thekids about things like being a good student.”