Freshmen must wait to get ‘fratty’

Spencer J Eggers/The Daily Campus
IFC established a new rule that prohibits freshman males from attending any registered event for the first five weeks of school. The rule goes into effect Aug. 22 and ends Sept. 30.

IFC established a new rule that prohibits freshman males from attending any registered event for the first five weeks of school. The rule goes into effect Aug. 22 and ends Sept. 30. (Spencer J Eggers/The Daily Campus)

Interfraternity Council (IFC) established a new rule that forbids freshman males from attending any registered bus parties or events registered with the school for the first five weeks of school.

The rule goes into effect Aug. 22 and will last until Sept. 30.

“During this period, fraternities usually only throw one to maybe two bus parties, so it really shouldn’t be too drastic of a social culture change,” Max Sutro, the vice president of programming and public relations for IFC, said.

According to IFC President Brian Rose, recruitment numbers have been low for the past few years.

However, with this new rule in place, IFC executive board members believe recruitment rates will go up.

“I do believe that this will make more freshman eligible to rush, given that there will hopefully be a lesser number of alcohol violations given as a result of fewer bus parties attended by freshman guys,” Sutro said. “Hopefully this rule will allow the new freshman to be cognizant of the consequences of what alcohol violations can do to your rush eligibility.”

Each fraternity has to notify IFC a week before a registered event in order to get the exact number of wristbands as active members. All women, including freshmen, are allowed to attend these events.

Each fraternity can also order additional wristbands for other males, but no freshman can receive one.

Rose believes that this rule will help ease freshmen men into the college environment as well as “decrease bad habits.”

“It’s not a perfect end all solution, but hopefully it’s the start of something bigger and better,” Rose said.

IFC has been working to institute this rule, however, this is the first semester that it will be in effect.

“This is a stepping stone to something bigger in the next few years,” Rose said.

Freshmen males can still attend house parties, philanthropy events and dinners.

“I do believe that freshman guys going to hang out at the fraternity houses is one of the best ways to meet the older guys and see what their house is all about,” Sutro said.

While IFC believes recruitment numbers will increase, they also think each fraternity will save money.

“It’s less of a financial obligation for frats, ” Rose said. “There will be less lavish events and we can use the money for bettering [fraternity] houses.”

With second semester recruitment, some IFC members believe the most recent pledge class has not had time to hangout with men in their own fraternity before beginning the recruiting process.

“This gives guys in the house a time to establish themselves,” Rose said.

Rose said there has been lots of positive feedback and support from the administration, students and advisors.

However, many freshmen —male and female—are unaware of this change.

Freshman Stephen Hernandez thinks it’s a “bummer” he can’t attend bus parties for the first five weeks.

“The first five weeks is a long time but I’m excited for once the five weeks are over,” he said.

This is the response IFC is hoping for.

“After September there will be a rush of kids,” Rose said. “The suspense builds up from the freshman guys so there will be a big splurge after five weeks.”

Other freshman like Stephen Kelly are indifferent to the new rule.

“There are plenty of other people to meet,” he said. “It gives us time to explore other people before Greek life starts.”

For freshman Miranda Hanson, the rule does not affect her at all.

“I just feel bad for the guys,” she said.

Though IFC executive board members admit the rule is not perfect, they “wanted to get the ball rolling,” according to Rose.