First-years reflect on Corral

Taylor Henry/The Daily Campus
Members of the incoming SMU class of 2015 reflect on the upcoming year at the traditional candle light ceremony at Mustang Corral Saturday evening.

Members of the incoming SMU class of 2015 reflect on the upcoming year at the traditional candle light ceremony at Mustang Corral Saturday evening. (Taylor Henry/The Daily Campus)

SMU’s centennial class returned from an overnight trip Saturday, where they got a taste of the spirit, traditions and academic life of SMU.

Mustang Corral allows first-years to get to know faculty, staff and student leaders in a different setting. “At first I was slow to warm up to it, but once we got started doing the activities, like square dancing [and] meeting people, I got into it,” Andrew Hattersley said.

Many students enjoyed making new friends.

“I definitely had a good time making new friends [and] talking to people I probably would have never spoken to or [even] met,” Alaxandria Foreman said.

Corral contained several presentations, including a diversity session and professor visits. Professors also gave brief lectures from their coursework and experience to gear up students for Monday classes.

An emotional and sentimental candlelight ceremony marked the last night of Corral and beginning of students journey back to SMU.

Many students appreciated their venture beyond the Dallas metropolis and are excited to start their social and academic career on the Hilltop.

“After Corral, I feel SMU is a very diverse community of talented individuals and full of well organized programs,” Peter Kaminsky said. “I’m glad I went.”