Oscars go wild

Academy Awards replace producer, host
Associated Press
The Oscar’s current and former producers, Brian Grazer and Brett Ratner, at the L.A. premiere of “J. Edgar.”

The Oscar’s current and former producers, Brian Grazer and Brett Ratner, at the L.A. premiere of “J. Edgar.” (Associated Press)

In a time span of only almost a week, the Academy Awards saw major changes.

The usually headline free production made a major splash when Brett Ratner, the show’s producer, stepped down from his position.

The resignation came just days after Ratner made a gay slur at the premiere of his new movie “Tower Heist.”

“He did the right thing for the Academy and for himself,” Tom Sherak, the president of the Academy of Motion Pictures and Arts, said. “Words have meaning, and they have consequences. Brett is a good person but his comments were unacceptable. We all hope this will be an opportunity to raise awareness about the harm that is caused by reckless and insensitive remarks, regardless of the intent.”

Just days after Ratner’s leave, the show’s host, comedian Eddie Murphy, also announced that he too would be leaving his post at the Academy Awards.

“First and foremost I want to say that I completely understand and support each party’s decision with regard to a change of producers for this year’s Academy Awards ceremon,” Murphy said in a statement released by the Academy. “I was truly looking forward to being a part of the show that our production team and writers were just starting to develop, but I’m sure that the new production team and host will do an equally great job.”

To replace Ratner, the Academy enlisted the help of Brian Grazer.

Grazer, ironically, was Ratner’s producer for “Tower Heist.”

“Brian Grazer is a renowned filmmaker who over the past 25 years has produced a diverse and extraordinary body of work,” Sherak said. “He will certainly bring his tremendous talent, creativity and relationships to the Oscars.”

With the producing slot filled, the Academy shifted their focus onto finding a host.

Replacing Murphy as the 84th Annual Academy Awards host is Billy Crystal.

This year will mark Crystal’s ninth time as the show’s host. Crystal last hosted in 2004.

“I’m thrilled to welcome Billy back to the Oscar stage,” Sherak said. “He’s a comic legend and Oscar icon, and it feels good to have him back where he belongs.”

As the news broke, Crystal tweeted, “(I) am doing the Oscars so the young woman in the pharmacy will stop asking my name when I pick up my prescriptions. Looking forward to the show.”